Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Swollen upper arm above elbow joint, tenderness on touching, difficulty bending arm. Treatment? son an 18 year water polo player came home from practice with swollen upper arm above elbow joint with severe tenderness upon touch ....he is also having difficulty bending his arm (hand to touch shoulder ). He has broken this elbow at age 13. Please advise if he needs medical help now or can I wait and have him see MD next fewndays! Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.
To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Sun, 27 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hello Brenda,

Thanks for posting

I will suggest you get medical attention right away. You did not mention if he had trauma of that elbow when he came back from the water polo or he strained it so much that another fracture of the previous scar has occurred. It could be a gout attack ( are there any family history of gout) or an arthritis. In any case, if the pain is not severe or you do feel that he can support the pain, then you can wait till you see his MD. I will still prefer that you get that checked and possibly do an x-ray.

For now you can give him antiinflammatory to relieve the pain.

Hope this helps

Answered: Sun, 27 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor