Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Swollen throat on right side, terrible taste in mouth, blood tinged liquid puss. Strep test negative. Antibiotics required ?

My throat is swollen on the right side, about 15 days ago my dr did a strep test that came back negative. I took an antibiotic 2x a day for 10 days. My throat is even more sore now and I just had a terrible taste in my mouth so I went to look in the mirror and there was blood tinged liquid puss, a lot more came out when I pushed on it with my finger . How long should I wait to see if it is a virus and runs it course or if I really need an antibiotic.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

If you have taken antibiotics and you still have pus coming out like this from your throat then it is not a good sign. You need to consult an ENT and check these:
1. Complete examination of the throat and tonsils
2. Culture and sensitivity testing of the throat swab and initiation of proper treatment.
3. Starting or considering injectable antibiotics and pain killers for faster and better control of infection
4. Starting anti reflux measures as you are bound to have reflux in the background of such high degree of infection and due to the strong medication

take care and have only warm fluids

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Tue, 20 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor