Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Swollen, sore eyes, hard ball on the eyelid tip. Cause and cure?

Hi about couple months ago around ending febuary I woke up with a really sore eye. I was traveling heading back home when I woke the next morning my eye had become really swollen and red it remained like that for the rest of the week. Well after the swelling went away my eye developed a hard round ball on the tip of my eye lid. It doesn t really bother me unless I push down on it, I have been waiting for it to go away but it s still there. Is this a problem? What should I do?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Jun 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  137
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi Jeanine,
I agree with Dr Vidhya.. you have developed chalazion. You can try conservative treatment in the form of hot fomentation to the lid. Rarely it can help to reduce its size but as Dr Vidhya said mostly you will need Steroid injection or incision and drainage. Its a very small procedure and wont leave in any scar mark on your skin. ( Its done from inner side). Wish you good health.
Answered: Sat, 2 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
It seems that you have developed an infected hair follicle or an infected gland commonly called a stye. Topical antibiotic and steroid drops often help in reducing the swelling. But these must be taken after a proper examination by your ophthalmologist.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Fri, 1 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ophthalmologist Dr. Vidhya's  Response
Hi Jeanine ,
You have developed Chalazion a painless swelling ,which remains post Stye. If it is of significant and noticeable size,bothering you cosmetically it is better to get it removed. With your history of 4 months duration, I don't think it will come down with topical medications.

Consult an ophthalmologist, who can remove it by a minor procedure (incision and drainage) or give a steroid injection for the swelling, so it will regress with time.

If it is a very small swelling, then you can just ignore it. But maintain good lid hygiene to avoid further infections like this. Take care.
Answered: Fri, 1 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor