Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Swollen shin after getting hurt. Has split with black dry blood. Serious?

Okay, so my fiancé smacked his shin getting into a tractor trailer to unload tires. When I came home his leg looked like it had his calf in the shin. There is a split with what looks like black dry blood or narcotic tissue but not sure and his leg has been completely swollen. I m a student nurse and I ve had people tell me it s probably and infection below the skin and it needs drained. The only problem is, he doesn t have a dr or health insurance. I hope it s not serious.
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, it does look like a nasty cut and first of all you will need to clean up the wound with warm water and antiseptic lotion and remove all the dead and necrotic tissues from the wound. next you should give him a light antiseptic dressing where you do not tie the wound but just protect it from dirt and insects, with a gauze bandage and plaster. Keep the limb elevated and give him some anti inflammatory and pain killers. He needs to also receive a shot of tetanus toxoid injection. Observe for a day if the inflammation starts subsiding and he has symptomatic relief then you may contineu dressing up the wound everyday and inti-inflammatory pills but if not then you do need to visit an ER and get it examined by a doctor and if required started on antibiotics Take care.
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor