Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Swollen rib cage, painful to breathe or cough. Anything I can do?

My left rib cage is swollen. About 4-5 weeks ago I bent over to open a box and my rib cage felt like it caved in. It hurt when I took a breath, coughed or turned to the left. I went to my dr and I told her that I think I bruised my ribs. She told me that she would order an xray , but there s really nothing that could be done. An xray wouldn t pick up a bruise and if the ribs were cracked, nothing could be done. So, I still have swelling . Is there anything I can do. Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 17 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  89
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
Under your circumstances, a rib injury is likely. To have relief, you can take oral muscle relaxants and use a chest belt of appropriate size. Avoid doing any heavy work or lifting weights.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
From descrition seems to be broken rib. Now you can apply muscle relaxant gel locally to relieve the spasm, You can apply rib belt to get relief.Doing hot fomatation will be helpful.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

All the symptoms in the description suggests that you suffered a RIB INJURY.

These injuries are self limiting and usually heal spontaneously within 3-4 weeks.

Temporarily follow the below mentioned guidelines -

* avoid lying on the affected side
* Ice packing to alleviate the pain
* Analgesic antiinflammatory medicines as needed
* Calcium supplements daily
* Moist heat fomentation to resolve the swelling

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor