Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Swollen pus filled finger after being hit. What to do?

My boyfriend smashed his pinkie finger at work. Now at the corner of the nail is a dark spot. It s a dark red, almost brown color. So I presumed it was a blood blister . The area around it is a yellowish color and his finger is swelled and red. The yellow area is starting to get bigger on his finger. He says it hurts anytime he touches something. This happened over the last few days. Then today I noticed the yellow area is bigger and the red/swelled area of his finger is starting to look a little purple. What should I tell him to do? Or what can I do for him?
Asked On : Wed, 14 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  175
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Dear and thanks for the query
Purple discoloration is not a good sign for the healthy healing. The swelling if the part is not allowing blood to supply the distal part of the finger. I think there is formation of abscess at the site. You need a immediate course of effective antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. An Incision and drainage procedure can be done if your treating doctor feel the collection if pus is more. The material can be send for culture examination which helps in selecting effective antibiotic.
So consult your doctor asap and start the treatment. Sorry to say but any delay in the treatment can cause loss of finger as it is already purple.
Best Wishes and hope for the best
Answered: Thu, 15 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor