Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Swollen penis in kid, taken biotex, rashes in skin. Cure for symptoms?

My son is 4 and he was fine urinating on monday morning before school. By the evening however, he was crying that when he went to the toilet, his penis hurt. He was really screaming and upset. Everytime he went, it hurt. We took him to the doctor and she said it was a bit swollen. It also swells a little when he goes for a wee. She tested the urine sample and it came back clear - I thought it was an infection but she said it was an irritation. She suggested bathing in warm water and Biotex (even though he has sensitive skin - this later brought him out in a rash on his legs!) so we discontinued with that. I found it hard to believe she recommended it. It's now a couple of days and he's still crying when he goes to the toilet and his penis still swells. He is fine in other ways - no fever, or feeling unwell. Any advice greatly appreciated. I hate seeing my little boy upset.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Thank you for placing your query on Health Care Magic
There two or three possibilities for the condition that you have described.
1. Phimosis: It is the inability to retract the prepuce. It causes urine to collect between the preputial skin and the glans of the penis and hence the swelling appears. The urine may be clear but it may be causing him irritation and difficulty while passing urine.
2. Insect bite: sometimes an insect bite can also cause a swelling over the prepuce. More than the bite it the allergy to the sting. But it is unlikely to stay for these many days and usually does not cause a lot of discomfort
3. Balanoposthitis: It is the inflammation of the glans and prepuce due to an infection. It usually is accompanied by fever and some dirty looking discharge. So I feel it to be less likely.
For all these conditions you should consult a pediatric surgeon. If it phimosis then it may also require surgery. But I can not dram an opinion without having a look at your son. So Consult a pedistric surgeon near you for a proper diagnosis and proper treatment
Hope that helped
God bless you
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor