Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Swollen painful ankles after a fall. Need treatment for a speedy recovery

Hi there, My name is Lyn and I am 51. I had a fall last night, I missed two steps and went over on my ankles. I had pain immediately after the fall. Within a few hours the pain was so intense I couldn t sleep. Both ankles have swollen considerably with bruising. Swelling is very bad on the outside of the ankle and is spreading around the whole foot . I can walk around, but it is very painful. Have taken pain relief, been resting with my foot elevated, tried ice packs and have bandaged. I can move my toes ok. What is the best thing to do for a speedy recovery?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, ankle joint is a very complex joint with lots of tendon and ligament attatchments and so any one of them could be strained or injured. First of all you should visit an ER and get a X-ray or a ortho consultation done as you would'nt want to miss a fracture tho' is unlikely. Ligaments take a long time to heal and so as you have rightly initiated the treatment, a painkiller, cold compresses and crepe bandage with elevation of the limb should give you some relief. Do not try to massage it or exercise it un-nessesarily. Keep the compression bandage on for a feew days till you are comfortable. Bone and tendon injury take its own time to heal and you can not speed them up. Take proper rest and wait it out. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 4 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
You had a fall and injured you both ankles.
At the outset I would suggest you to consult a physician ,get X Ray of both you ankle joint done to rule out any fracture or dislocation.Ice pack ,elevation of leg and pain killer is ok, but you also need a course of antibiotics to prvent infection of joint.
Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Tue, 4 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor