Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Swollen lump on the bottom lip. Asked to remove it. What is it?

My husband went to a walk in clinic this morning due to a pimple that was on his bottom lip has turned into something else. His bottom lip is now swollen about 3X size of normal.Doctor gave him antibiotic and topical numbing agent but he is still in allot of pain and says he wishes he could just cut it open for relief. What is this? Doc said it was an infection... really what kind of infection is this? What can be done besides ice and IB Profin for pain relief and swelling?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response
As it is painful swelling ,it is because of infection and inflammation.
If there is pus collected,it is better to get incised and drain the pus.
Till then,give him higher antibiotics like Clindamycin and anti inflammatory drug.Add Chymoral forte tablets.
It will come down.
Nothing to worry
Wish him good health
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Sohail Quazi 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
I think your Husband is suffering from carbuncle or folliculitis due to infection around the hair follicles, sebaceous glands and hair follicles. It is more common in patients with diabetes, alcoholism or drug abuse and poor personal hygiene
Tell your husband not to pick at or squeeze boil because of the danger of spreading the infection
Boils are usually treated with oral antibiotics and application of antibiotic creams, such as clindamycin or polymyxin, following the application of hot compresses.
Boils that are very large or that are not draining may be opened with a sterile needle or surgical knife to allow the pus to drain under a local anaesthesia
Hope i have answered your queries
wishing your husband good health

Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Welcome to HCM,
It seems that there is pus formation on infection site, so antibiotic is not working.
Once there is pus, it is to be removed by excision. there is no other alternative.
When there is induration and pus is not formed, there is chance to subside with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines.
Consult your doctor and get it excised.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor