Swollen knee, hot to touch, high fever, negative for MRSA. Have you heard of this?

My son in law, age 30, fit & healthy was admitted to the hosp. 4 days ago. His knee swelled up, hot to the touch and he was running a high fever . All withing a 4 hour time frame.Prior to this he had no discomfort re: his knee The dr. thought he might have MRSA but he tested negative. They have him on high doses of antibotics and performed knee surgery to drain fluid but there was no fluid or infection to scrape out. The pain has traveled from his foot to his hip and now they unwrapped the bandage only to see a big red ring around his swollen knee. We have waited 2-3 days for test results only to all come back negative. Now they want to call in a infectious desease specialist. Have you ever heard of something such as this and what direction should we be going in? The fever continues to go up & down .
Tue, 27 May 2014