Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Swollen gland in cheek, throbbing pain. Have high cholesterol and ovarian cyst. Is there any relation?

Hello, I have what feels like a swollen gland in my right cheek for a year now. The dentist didn t seem to think it was a salivary stone, but suggested I try eating/sucking lemons to see if it would help. I did so, but nothing seemed to happen. I then saw a general physician for other symptoms (very bad fatigue , jaw stiffness , dizziness, vertigo , brain fog...), and he too saw and felt the swollen gland, but didn t seem to think much of it. My cholesterol was high, vitamin D was low, and he treated me for what he thought was a UTI with Cipro, and D3 supplements for the deficiency. Later it was determined that I didn t have a UTI after all. Apparently, the initial test results were wrong. By the time I got the results from the follow up culture, I had already taken 6 days worth of Cipro. It s been two months since I took the antibiotic, but I still have the above symptoms, but to a lesser degree. My gland is still swollen, and occasionally, I get a throbbing pain in that cheek. I don t know if the swollen gland is related to any of this, and frankly, I m still unsure of what s causing everything else as well. I do notice that my symptoms seem to get worse throughout my cycle. I recently started getting ovarian cysts as well, but I m not sure if this is related either. I m just not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any direction. Patricia
Asked On : Wed, 22 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  128
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Patricia,
Welcome to Heathcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The UTI treatment has neither helped you nor harmed you.
But a swelling of salivary gland for over a year is intriguing and surely can harm you if left there undiagnosed.
Please consult a head and neck surgeon or ENT Surgeon and get it evaluated.
An ultrasound of the swelling would be of great help in detecting any focal lesion.
It can be a stone of Stensen's duct, a hypertrophied/infected parotid gland, or a tumor of parotid gland.
Wish you a great health!
Answered: Thu, 23 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor