Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Swollen forehead after popping pimple. Does this require a visit to the ER?

I am a 27 year old male with very little history of acne . I (foolishly, I know) popped a forehead pimple which was roughly a half in diameter and a quarter in raised. Then, I applied an OTC topical acne cream to it. About 2 hours later my forehead skin felt tight so I looked in the mirror and literally my entire forehead is swollen--swelling stops at all hair lines; scalp, eyebrows etc. I believe it is called pitting edema because if I apply pressure the dent remains. The swelling is of normal skin color, not red (other than the location of the pimple). Does this require a visit to the ER? Will warm compression help? If it does require a visit to the doctor, is it urgent or wait a day or 2?
Asked On : Tue, 11 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  372
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Yes, you should visit a doctor now because you possibly require the intake of antibiotics for this. Also, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory meds are also required to decrease the inflammation that has been associated with this. Hot compresses would also help. However, it is better if you make a visit to the ER now and get the required prescription so that you can start off the meds without delay.
Answered: Tue, 11 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor