Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Swollen foot and pain while walking after a fall. Need to see a doctor?

Hello. My boyfriend had fallen from stairs ysterday. His foot is swelled up and then he did an ice compressed and it works. his foot is okay now except for the pain he feels whenever he walks. He can t really walk straight due to the pain. Does he need to see a doctor? Or can we take meds for the pain? Can we treat his foot just at home? Thank you so much.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
thank you for the question

usually falls can cause muscular, ligament or even bony injury to the feet depending on the intensity or severity of the fall.
in all 3 conditions there will be pain and swelling. In case of bone fracture the pain is very intense and doesn't relieve on icing.
muscular and ligamentous injuries do respond to icing initially for 2 days.
at the present condition you can continue icing for initial 2 days after the fall. and wrap the swollen part of foot in a crepe bandage and keep the foot elevated by placing a pillow under the foot in lying position and in sitting position also keep the foot on a table in front of the patient.
on the third day you can give hot fomentation to the foot by dipping it in a bucket of warm water and repeat the same. give your foot some rest dont put much body weight on that foot for 3-4 days.

all of this done at home for initial 3-4 days if doesn't still help.
kindly see a doctor (orthopaedician or physical therapist)

wish you good health

Answered: Fri, 5 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
From description it seems to be soft tissue injury .
He need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.
I suggest him to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. He may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.Beside icing and elevating it, he can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.
Hope this will helps you
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor