Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Swollen fingers, bleeding. Used goof off. What can be done?

My friend used Goof-Off in January and about a week later her fingers became swollen, skin began to split and bleed . Now it appears to be in both hands . She is a young Mom of 3 little ones 5,2 and 7 months with no insurance at all. I am worried and will help any way I can, don t know what to do. Her hands are really bad. Please help. Marilyn, Atlanta, Ga
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  125
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello Ms Marilyn,

Goof Off contains a strong solvent xylene along with 2-ethanol. The problems usually appear after prolonged use in poorly ventilated areas. It can be dangerous if inhaled.

Your friend has an allergic reaction to contents of Goof Off. Do not expose any further to Goof Off or any product containing xylene. You should get her seen by a doctor at the earliest, so that anti-allergy medication along with appropriate antibiotics can be started without further delay. If you wait, she may be in for much more trouble. This is an emergency.

In future she must be very cautious in handling paints, solvents, and cleaning chemicals. Avoid direct contact by using a pair of gloves to handle any of these.

Hope your friend gets better of her allergy. Thanks a lot for using

Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor