Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Swollen finger, stiff and painful. X-ray shows left index finger avulsion fracture. Can an MRI help ?

Smashed my finger with a hammer while working 5 days ago. Went to urgent care and got an x-ray, was told that nothing was wrong and it was just a bruise/ sprain . They told me the head radiologist would overview my xrays and call if anything was wrong. They gave me 6 5/325 vicodin for the pain. Got a call today that I actually have a left index finger avulsion fracture ....still very swollen, very stiff and very painful. Radiologist told me to stay in a splint for 4-6 weeks. ...Since the original doctor didn t know about the avulsion fracture do you think he/she would give me more pain medication to deal with this throbbing pain? Also, I know the seriousness of a avulsion fracture is hard to identify through x ray so how do I know if my ligament isn t torn as well? Would an MRI tell me any more about the injury?
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  148
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagicForum

Hi..bjork.. the fractired index finger need to be immobilized and splint need to be put.., this must be for 4 to 6 weeks.., after it the bone fragment will fuse with metaphysis.. do not worry.. continue with medication and also consult orthopedician for any changes, if in need of pop cast need to be put or not,....

Take care..
Answered: Thu, 27 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor