Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Swollen calf, lumpy veins. Exposed to severe cold weather. Should I be concerned about a clot?

my husband has an extremely swollen right calf every year after three months of commercial fishing in Alaska. it usually takes a month or so to go down after he gets home. no one has ever been able to figure out what it is. this year he has also come home with what looks and feels like hard lumpy veins on the shin bone area of the calf. i am worried it could be a clot.
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  101
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The visible thick lumpy veins on the shin could be due to varicose veins or deep vein thrombosis. He needs to consult a surgeon and get himself properly investigated to detect the cause for proper treatment.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 15 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor