Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Swollen, bruised shin with severe pain due to collision. Suggestions?

My son was in a soccer game yesterday and collided with another player. His shin seemed to have taken the brunt of the collision. He was down for a couple of minutes but did continue to play the remaining ten minutes of the game. Afterwards, he was in a good deal of pain. The shin is swollen, with a blueish general bruise and then a reddish vertical line where the impact must have occurred. We gave him ibuprofen, iced it, and elevated it. He says it was feeling a tiny bit better when he went to bed. This morning it hurts more again. He can put limping pressure on it but not full pressure and he says the bending motion of walking hurts. Wondering if we should still consider getting an X-ray?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  122
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, and welcome to HCM!

Your son sounds like he is in quite a bit of pain! This type of injury is common in kids and adults who play soccer, and usually just represents a severe bruise. If he is able to put some weight on the leg, this is most likely the case. If he had a fracture it is unlikely that he would've been able to finish the game. All this being said, it is still possible that his leg is broken. Continue doing what you have been doing to help him, and if the pain isn't better in a few days take him to his pediatrician.

I wish you good health, and thank you for posting on HCM!
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Siddartha's  Response
hi... hello
Hindrance to motion or pain during movement is an indication for x-ray to rule out any fracture or sprain..
mean while put him on anti inflammatory/pain killers,,massaging with hot water,,,
bluish bruise is collection of blood that is will resolve on its own..
consult an orthopedicion for further suggestions
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor