Swollen area on mastoid, ear pain, headaches. Lymph node detected, surgery prescribed. Complications of surgery?

I have had a swollen painful area on my mastoid for a few years. I would get really bad ear aches and headaches even pain in my neck and sholder. The last month I noticed there i have a lump there and it causes pain for a hour or so if I mess with it any. My ENT doctor wants to get it removed and says its a lymph node after 2 weeks of antibiotics with no change. What I want to know is what would be complications of this surgery, and what if the lymph node is enlarged because of something else wrong. Should I request a CT scan?
Mon, 10 Dec 2012