Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Swollen ankles, knee pain. Osgood-Schlatter? What cure is there for it?

My 12 year old daughter has just recently started track. She has swollen ankles (without pain) but has pain in her knees to a point of not being able to even jog right. I have read some on Osgood-Schlatter Disease but that seems as though the pain should be more front & center & chin oriented. She claims her pain may be more towards the medial side of her knees. Of course the pain could be radiating to the spot she claims. I of course know to do the Advil & ice packs. My question is if she has Osgood-Schlatter what else could or would be done? She really does not want to give up her sports! We will be just starting the above described treatment. Any other suggestions at this time?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  115
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
I have read your question,
Osgood-Schlatter Disease (vern.knobby knees) generally shows a sign of outgrowth around the knee area/below the patella (=knee cap) , well as you didn't mention any such condition in the question and without physical medical check up its is difficult to come to a conclusion.
Anyway i Appreciate your interest in doing research of you own.
Treatment for O-S D is generally Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation, and if required acetaminophen (paracetamol), ibuprofen or stronger if in 'acute phase' & (the pain is severe and continuous in nature). The condition usually resolves in a few months, with a study of young athletes revealing a requirement of complete training cessation for 1 week (on average) and gradual resumption of full training by 1 month.
Often the Patients suffering with O-S D Don't show any swelling in the ankle region ,
Since you have said that you child is into sports one of the possible reasons could be Tear of meniscus , or sprain in the legs.
In Such a condition i recommend you to consult a general physician and then a physiotherapist For further treatment.

Wishing Your Child a Good Health and Bright future,
Dr.G.Gayatri Devi (General Physician)
Answered: Fri, 21 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor