Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Swollen ankle and toe, inability to walk. Take celebrex? Surgery required?

My 78 year old mother has a swollen righ ankle and her big toe is starting to turn dark. She has been to her primary care doctor and two specialists. She has been given two boots to wear, but she says they hurt too much and she won t use them. I try to keep her off her feet and keep the ankle elevated, but this has been going on since September 2012. She can barely walk. She says she didn t fall, but she doesn t know how it got injured. She has taken some type of pill ... Celebrex maybe? She also has had pain pills but neither do any good. Does she need surgery? What should I do with her?
Asked On : Mon, 24 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Radiologist, Interventional 's  Response

Thank you for asking your question.

Your description of your mother's foot points towards a reduction in blood supply to the foot, Peripheral Vascular Disease.

In this condition, blocks develop in the arteries of the legs that hinder blood supply.

This can be confirmed by feeling for her foot pulses.

Seeing an Interventional Radiologist like myself would be the right way forward as we can diagnose this as well as open up blocked arteries and thus curing her.


Dr.Saurabh Joshi,
Vascular Interventional Radiologist
Answered: Fri, 12 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor