Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Swollen ankle after a fall. Difficulty in walking. Cure?

I sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago falling down steps. My right foot turned in, and I stepped down on my ankle. ER took x-ray and sent me home with crutches and air splint , said it wasn t broken and didn t yet see hairline fracture . Very swollen for 2 weeks (was in extreme pain getting up in am -- felt all of the blood ran straight to my foot and started expanding it.) Now is less painful when I get up. Swelling is down, but still some fluid (blood?) around my ankle bone and sore to touch around that area. Lots of little pinpoint brown spots all over my foot. If sitting up, my foot starts to get cold. I limped on it a few days ago without crutches and could feel a little pain/pulling. Ended up having to eleveate it as it was hurting/swelling. Is ok to try to step down and try walking on it again or should I stay off of it.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  251
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Geriatrics Specialist 's  Response
hi there,
am dr.surendran
nice to meet you here in HCMagic
A sprained ankle, also known as an ankle sprain, twisted ankle, rolled ankle, floppy ankle, ankle injury or ankle ligament injury, is a common medical condition where one or more of the ligaments of the ankle is torn or partially torn.
The diagnosis of a sprain relies on the medical history, including symptoms, as well as making a differential diagnosis, mainly in distinguishing it from strains or bone fractures.
The Ottawa ankle rule is a simple, widely-used rule to help differentiate fractures of the ankle or mid-foot from other ankle injuries that do not require x-ray radiography. It has a sensitivity of nearly 100%, meaning that a patient who tests negative, according to the rule almost certainly does not have an ankle fracture.
If an ankle sprain does not heal properly, the joint may become unstable and may lead to chronic pain. Receiving proper treatment and performing exercises that promote ankle function is important to strengthen the ankle and prevent further injury.
hope helped your query
regards dr.surendiran hcmagic
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query

From description , it seems you might developed ligamentous strain over ankle.

Now after 3 weeks if pain is severe ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not put full weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor