Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Swollen and painful cervix. Done test for chlamidya and HPV. What is the disease?


I am 34 years old. Is it possible to have a swollen and painful cervix after ca. 3 days after the end of my period? I did an ultrasound and the cervix was very painful. The doctor said it is a bit swollen and she asked me to do some test for chlamidya and HPV. These though are probably not the case since I was not sexually active the last time.

Thank you in advance.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thank you so much for this query.
I am so sorry to hear about this painful and swollen cervix that has been disturbing you.

Fro this report, it points towards cervicitis. Cervicitis can be caused by an infection, trauma, post interventional procedures on the cervix etc. Infections are by far the number once cause. It can be caused by Sexually transmitted germs as well as other germs which are not sexually transmitted. It is often common after menses because the normal protective mechanisms in the vaginal are tampered with during menstruation.

I cannot tell for sure what the cause is. It can be one the above germs and it could be another cause. However, we need to do these test to find out what the cause is. I would have suggested that your doctor screens for the other possible causes like Gardnerella, syphilis, Trichomonas etc in addition to HPV and chlamydia, too.

I hope this helps and provides some answers that can guide you to make informed decision. I will also like to kindly request that you maintain a high level of personal hygiene during your menses. This will help reduce chances of having an infection.
Please, also consider using protection during sex if you have any worries about getting infected or pregnant. if you need more help on this, you can talk to your doctor. Also, you may want to consider a contraceptive method.

Wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, Md

Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor