Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Swollen and painful ankle sprain, tenderness. Should I see a doc?

I sprained my ankle 3 days ago still swollen and hurts. And I have very tenderness around the top part of my ankle and the bottom of the bone and I have done the rice thing but my hurt ankle feels a bit different from the good one. And when I put my foot on the ground my ankle tends to fall inward. As well so I am wondering if I should go see a doc
Mon, 15 Oct 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

You need an x-ray to rule out any fracture.

You have to visit an orthopaedic surgeon for examination , xray and treatment plan according to that.

I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. V. Jayaram's  Response
thanks for choosing health care magic

There could be two possibilities
1. a simple sprained ankle
2. a fracture

since the pain persisted for 3 days there is a high possibility of a fracture

Hence i suggest you go to an orthopedician and get an X ray done . For a fracture you will need immobilisation .

Mean while you can take over the counter pain killer for your pain
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

In early september I stepped off a tall stoop and seemed to incur a sprain. the nest day I sprained the other ankle. I treated with cold packs...

Recent questions on  Bone fracture

doctor1 MD

I fractured and displaced my right picky knuckle 2that and a half months ago. The problem is after being in a hard cast for 7 weeks and a splint...

doctor1 MD

I had a comminuted spiral fracture of my left fibula over 5 years ago. I had severe pain in my Achilles tendon and the ankle directly after the...

doctor1 MD

Hi I fractured 2 ribs and bruised my right upper abdomen 2 weeks ago after a fall. In the past 2 days I have been burping constantly with increased...

doctor1 MD

I broke my fibula on Oct 29th - non displaced lower fracture about 4 inches above the ankle. I have a ankle brace now but have noted increase...

doctor1 MD

My cousin (22 yr old) met with an accident in which her Shin bone and Collar bone got fractured. Is it better to just plaster and let them heal, or...

doctor1 MD

I hit my head pretty bad and heard a sort of shattering sound like glass breaking. Problem is nothing got broken around me. I have a huge knot on...

doctor1 MD

My Wife recently undergone CT(Face) 3D scan for nasal bone fracture . She had and C-Section Delivery 22 day before. I have heard lots of side...