Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Swelling on top of rib cage under pectoral area, is increasing in size, hurts occasionally. What should be done?

I have a swelling on top of my left rib cage, just under my pectoral area. Roughly the size and shape of a small banana, stretching from about 7-8 inches below the left armpit, to about 3 inches below and a little inboad of my left nipple . It s been there, and getting larger, for about six months and occasionally hurts. It s about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick and maybe 7 inches in length.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  128
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Definitely, this is an issue that has to be explored further, since masses or growths in the breast area could be at times malignant, although there are also benign tumors of that region such as fibroadenomas, lipomas, etc. The best procedure would be for you to be examined by a clinical provider, who can then decide what type of imaging modality will be best to characterize the growth (eg. ultrasound, CT scan) and determine further action.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Answered: Wed, 10 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor