Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Swelling on the face. Had a maxillofacial surgery with a bone fracture in the past. Any help?

Hi, I had maxillofacial surgery done many years ago. I had extra plates (screws etc) on one side as the bone fractured while my surgeon worked, resulting in bone graph. I am experiencing great swelling on the one side (this is 20 years later still). I have excused it in the past as a result of sinus colds or weather changing but it is becoming increasingly uncomfortable. The swelling is accompanied by my teeth moving constantly and feeling that they will fall out. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Swelling on one side of the face along with the mobility of the teeth may be because of the infection in the gum and bone.Yes maxillary sinus infection ,along with the persisting infection in the upper teeth may lead to mobility of the teeth because of the boneloss in that area. So first take an OPG and PNS x- ray to rule out the extent of the infection . see your dentist for the further treatment depending on the diagnosis . But sinusitis has to be treated first to localise the area involved and to know the source of infection .
Hope this information will help you. Take care.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
Hello & welcome
as there is history of fracture & bone palting, this may be an infection from that, because dome time infection from bone plating arise causing swelling & pain.
if there is maxillary bone plating surely maxillary sinus may get involved causing sinusitis & feeling of loosening of teeth.
i will advise you to immediately visit your maxillofacial surgeon for further assistance. in x-rays opg & pns will help you.
thanks & take care
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical history i suppose that there is infection in the gums and the bones.
Maxillary sinus infection along with persisting infection of the upper teeth can lead to mobility of the tooth.
I would suggest you to visit an Oral Surgeon and get the thorough checkup done take an OPG radiograph to determine the amount of bone loss and appropraite treatment plan.
Maintain a good oral hygiene use antiseptic mouthwash gargles tiwce daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Swelling on the face and tooth mobility shows there is some kind of infection and bone loss. you need to take a OPG (orthopentogram) to see the entire x ray picture of your jaw. OPG will confirm you the spread of infection, teeth involved and amount of bone loss. accordingly your maxillofacial surgeon will decide the further treatment,consult a oral surgeon soon. take care
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello maueyers,
Thanks for writing to us.
Swelling on face may be due to-re-infection of the fractured area/traumatic injury/sinus infection.
Decay or bone loss of teeth also can cause such swelling.
I would suggest you to visit a oral-maxillofacial surgeon and get clinical as well as OPG radiograph examination done.
If required,bone plating along with screws has to be replaced.
Abscess if present ,has to be drained well.
Take complete course of antibiotics too.
The jaws has to be immobilized for a while .
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor