Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Swelling in white part of eye, irritation, squishy substance in eye. Treatment?

Hello I thought I had something in my eye until I went into the light and tried to use a qtip. I noticed that the white part of my eye was a little swollen at the bottom and that s where the irritation was coming from. I began moving the qtip around in that area and it almost seemed like I could pop it or cause more damage because it was moving and very squishy looking. What could this be?
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  453
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Swelling in the white part of the eye may involve either conjunctiva, episclera or sclera.
The causes in conjunctiva are inflammed pterygium, a common degenerative condition, chemosis of conjunctiva as in allergic or inflammatory conditions.
The causes in episclera or sclera are inflammations called as episcleritis and scleritis. The causes in episclera or sclera are usually painful and are not associated with discharge, whereas the causes in conjunctivitis are associated with discharge and are usually not painful.
The treatment mainly includes antibiotic eye drops and steroid eye drops in cases of non infective causes.
In your case you need to undergo examination to find out the underlying cause and treatment accordingly. So please do consult your eye doctor for examination and treatment accordingly.
Thank you
Answered: Fri, 9 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor