Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Swelling in the vaginal lips due to Bartholin abscess. Surgery needed?

Hey I had a bartholin abscess. It was inside before Doc said its bartholin abscess. She prescribe me antibiotics after taking that it came up near my vigina lip got swollen, red, painfull.went back to diff doc she said its just a abscess dont need a operation. She prescribed me diff antibiotics and in 5days that abscess wasn't ther. But its been 15days yet and bartholin abscess back again. Its inside like a ball u can move.not too big but cant have sex it really hurts when I have sex. I dont want to do operation. Is there something I can do about it. Im only 23yr old and im fedup of it. Dont want to do operation bcoz thers no guarente if it wil never come back so whats the point getting cut over and over again. Is ther any specialist for this? Please do advise me thanku
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Every abscess should be cut and drained. It always have potential risk of serious complications with SEPSIS. Giving antibiotics without draining the pus is a big mistake. It is because abscess contains dead parts of immune system cells, dead parts of bacteria and alive bacteria. And antibiotics does not penetrate to the pus (no blood circulation inside). So giving them is pointless.
Your abscess has gotten better most likely by itself. And no role of antibiotics in the healing process. However as you can see it recurs.
That is why I suggest you to visit gyneacologist or general surgeon, have a small incision and pus drained. It will allow to clean it from bacteria and gives a chance that it wont come back.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor