Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Swelling in the lower leg after being hit in a game. Mild pain. Need treatment?

hello, i was playing basketball today and someones knee ran into my medial lower leg and instantly swelled up. I can still walk with minimal pain but unsure if i should go get it checked out or just keep using r.i.c.e. I feel it might be a sloes injury but not positive. What do you think? by soles i mean soleus of course
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  123
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
If the swelling is over the bony part of your shin it is likely a haematoma i.e. a bruise. If it is over the muscle on the inside of your leg then it is more likely to be a gastrocnemius muscle tear. Both can be treatment by rest, cold compress, anti-inflammatory medication, physiotherapy for the muscle tear.
Answered: Wed, 2 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor