Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Swelling in the foot after hip replacement surgery

Hi. The top of my left foot swells a little bit after sitting for a long while. It never used to, but after hip replacement surgery on my right hip, they swelled up in the hospital. They returned to normal pretty quick, but still, (appprox 18 months later) but there is a little swelling on the top of the left foot and a little bit under the ankle bone on the left foot. The right one does not swell at all. Just kinda of curious - they didn t seemed worried in the hospital about it - but I never did get an answer. Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  2342
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
After Hip replacement the swelling in your ankle and foot may be due to Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or a sympatheic effusion (due to congested veins and lymph vessels). Please do a Arterial and Venous doppler of the Left lower limb to rule out DVT. Keep a pillow under your left leg to keep it elevated and put a 6 inch Crepe bandage so the swelling decreases.
Take care
Answered: Sat, 5 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Pravin Banodkar's  Response
Hello Thanks for using Health care magic . I would pleased to answer your question. There could be a number of reasons why you might be getting swelling over the left ankle . It could be due to drainage issues of the lymph glands , local bone issues , infection. You will need to investigate with sonography , ct scan , or blood tests.
Take care

Answered: Tue, 1 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to HCMForum. it could be compensatory reaction of the left foot to the right side limp.
or may be an unnoticed sprain. keep a pillow under the foot while sleeping. tye a pressure bandage.
if any discomfert is there consult an orthopedic surgeon. dont worry you will be fine.
Answered: Tue, 1 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor