Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Swelling in the arm and rib cage. Is there a surgical treatment to cure this? Diagnosed as costochondritis

i fell down the stairs on or about 6 or 7 years ago periodically after picking up gallon of milk or toddler, basically after repeating motion of the right arm . i swell and feel like fluid in the rib cage from under my right breast to the mid-back bra section of my back. i find myself constantly laying down and it feels better. it last days and sometimes weeks at a time. is there a surgical procedure than can correct this? the doctors state that its costochondritis or inflammation but they don t know where its coming from. who can i treat with in order to find a solution for the discomfort i feel. it impacts my life moderately.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic
have you been done a chest xray to confirm that it is costochondritis and not anything else,
well usually there is no surgical procedure for costochondritis we usually give pain killers and advise no to life heavy objects.
physiotherapy can help to ease and give some relief to the pain that you feel.
i would suggest you see your specialist for further review and treatment.
hope have helped to answer your query.
get well soon and take care
Answered: Mon, 4 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.

Costochondritis means inflammation of costochondral joint (ribs with sternum).It has to be treated medically by an orthopedician or by an internal medicine specialist.There is no surgical treatment for this condition .

Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Mon, 4 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor