Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Swelling in ankle for 9 months. Diagnosed as varicose vein. Treatment?

I am a frequent runner and bicyclist and have had swelling in my left ankle for the last 6 to 9 months? The
swelling is worse at the end of the day. My Primary care physician told me it is caused by varicose veins in my left calf. I am 60 years of age and consider my self to be in excellent condition. Should I be concerned about this condition? Is there anything that I can do to cure this condition?


Bruce Arey
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Friend..
Welcome to Health Care Magic Forum...

I am here to help you to provide information to get treated for Varicose vein.

Varicose vein should be concerned and need treatment to relieve pain temporarily or by permanent measures.

1) conservative measures to reduce pain by foot end elevation of bed while sleeping , elastic support using crepe bandage
Avoid excessive exercises and maintain healthy diet high in fiber and low in salt

2)The medical therapy includes Sclerotherapy ,Laser etc.
Surgery is usually reserved for those who doesnt get relief from the conservative measures.
This can then be treated by an Interventional Radiologist by either Endovenous Laser or Radiofrequency Ablation done by a minimally invasive method.

Hope this Information is Helpful.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 10 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor