Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Swelling, bruising in shin after being hit. Continuing normal physical activity. Contusion or fracture?

I took a really bad hit to my shin. I was wearing thick plastic shinguards lined with foam and from the hit I still managed to get swelling and bruising. Walking for like five minutes, my shin muscles tighten up so quick and feel like shin splints on that leg. Its been a week since the injury and theres no bruise but still a bump. It didnt hurt until pressure was applied to the site and now it can be touched without instant pain at a certain site. Is it a contusion or could it be fractured? I have been doing physical activity since getting hit.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  172
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
From your description, it seems that you have suffered a contusion in the area of the shin after the injury. Since you can bear weight on the leg without much pain, bone injury is not likely. You can do a hot fomentation for relief.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sat, 17 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Utkarsh Narang's  Response

The pain you are feeling appears to be a just a contusion. You should apply ice for 10 mins at least 3-4 times a day, that should help in relieving the inflammation and pain. Also take an anti inflammatory and apply a compression bandage to protect the muscles of the shin to take strain.

After a couple of days visit an orthopedic or get a digital X ray of your leg just to check for any hairline fracture or bony trauma.

Get well soon.
Answered: Sat, 17 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor