Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Swelling and pain in ankle, hip pain. Go for physical therapy?

Hi I am 36-year-old male I have been playing soccer for 30 years of my life. About two weeks ago my left ankle swelled up and have lots of pain. Four days after that my left wrist started having pain slowly my ankle Pain became tolerable and I started having pain And swelling in the toe next to the big toe on my left foot . Went to the doctor and they recommended me going to physical therapy for my ankle and Wrist but now I am also having some pain in my right hip do you think this could be RA
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
Going by your described symptoms, it is definitely not RA. It is an injury caused while playing the sport. Yes u need to show it to a physical therapist for further management.
Apply ice on your swollen ankle 15-20 mins, every 2-3 hours. Same goes for your wrist.
Your hip pain is maybe because you are bearing too much weight on it due to the injured ankle.
Get Well soon.

Answered: Sat, 3 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

The classical presentation of RA is SYMMETRICAL POLYARTHRALGIA (occurs in both limbs simultaneously) involving specifically small joints of both hands.

I suspect MIGRATORY POLYARTHRALGIA in your case. To confirm this, you need to undergo a battery of investigations.

I suggest you to approach your treating physician for further workup and management.

In the meantime, use analgesic antiinflammatory medicines like Advil or Aleve along with some physical rest to the involved joints.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Sat, 3 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
Joint pains in young can be due to autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc.
To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR, RA factor, CRP, serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a rheumatologist are needed.
A high levels of anti- DNase is suggestive of an autoimmune disorder which needs disease modifying agents and oral steroids to take care of the symptoms. You need to consult a rheumatologist for proper treatment.
Hope this helps you.
Answered: Sun, 4 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Arun kumar's  Response
first of all dont think about RA .RA is something else and not related to ur case it usually start with bilateral small joint first .
u may have hurt ur ligaments in ur ankle joint and u need muscular and proprioception training ..pls visit a sports physiotherapist soon .
Answered: Sun, 4 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor