Suspecting gastric lymphoma following endoscopy, biopsy although stomach lining looked normal. Doctor prescribed Lansoprazole. Reason?

My husband had an endoscopy the other day and a biopsy was done. The doctor suspected gastric lymphoma but said the lining of the stomach looked normal. Although we expect the biopsy to come back normal because of this I am puzzled as to why the doctor prescribed 20 mg lansoprazole once per day for 8 weeks. I didn't get to speak with the doctor so couldn't ask him. Do you know why this would be? Thank you
Tue, 29 Oct 2013