Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Surgery for severe spinal stenosis suggested. Pain in the leg due to disc bulge. Can the surgery be done with minimal invasion?

I am told that I need to undergo surgery for severe spinal stenosis. I failed to ask the surgeon why the surgery will not be performed as a minimally invasive procedure. I do know that I will not have to have any "hardware" placed in my spine. Basically, the surgery is being performed to relieve the pain in my left leg. I have bulging discs at L3, 4, 5 and S1. Basically, if no hardware is needed, can the procedure which I am about to undergo be performed minimally invasive or does it have to be performed with an open incision?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Minimally invasive surgeries are possible if you have a localized disc bulge at a single level, say, only L4-5 or L5-S1. Then, the surgeon can perform what is called as micro-discectomy, with a small incision.

However, if the problem is more widespread with bulging of multiple discs and compression of multiple nerves, then an open surgery is required.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email:
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor