Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Sulfameth prescribed for white blood cells in urine. Need different antibiotic?

I ve been told by theVet Admins. Doctor that I did not respond to the previous medication . What was found are white blood cells in my urine . a month ago. Went for a visit today and still have the white blood cells in my urine Rx ed Sulfameth/Trimeth/800/160mg 2 tabs daily, a2 hours apart. Plate/ or liquid cultures indicated no bacterial organism.....only the white cells. Now I started with this new antibiotic . Think that this is the correct track??? Thank you for your time and information H Weiss
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, Thanks for using HCM.

repeated use of same antibiotics results in resistance of organism to particular antibiotic.
Need to take antibiotics depending on sensitivity testing.

There are other reasons for WBC in urine with out any growth on culture plate.
You need to get evaluated for it, could be due to renal stones, inflammatory conditions, malignant lesions.
Get USG abdomen, X-ray KUB done.
Consult your doctor for examination and management.
Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Vidya
Answered: Sat, 20 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi, many thanks for the query!
You haven't mentioned about any history of weight loss/loss of appetite,
family history of TB, age..
Tuberculosis of the urinary tract causes sterile pyuria (plenty of pus cells in urine but with negative urine culture)
You should do- PCR study of urine sample for detection of TB DNA. If positive, then no antibiotic but only AKT can cure this completely.
Alternatively, there can be some infective focus in the urinary tract (like a calculus) that needs to be looked after, do- USG KUB, X-ray KUB, CBC, RFT.
Drink plenty of water.
Consult your Urologist.
Wish you a good health.
Take care.
Answered: Sat, 20 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor