Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suicidal thoughts, OCD, PTSD. What treatment will help?

Hi! This last year has been hell with my thoughts. I went to a psyche ward last summer. Unfortunately nothing has helped me in the long run from having intrsive thoughts and urges. I have had numerous med changes. I had thoughts of suicide . I walked in front of three cars last summer hoping to get hit-its good that I didnt get hit. I am currently reading Mans Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl. I feel I dont know what the right thing is. I have OCD ,PTSD, Scizo-effective, dystymia and other mental disorders. I have automatic thoughts of insane hanus stuff.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response

welcome to health care magic

Don't worry and relax. In case of OCD, SSRIs are treatment of choice but the main point is adequate dosages and adequate duration. If you are changing medicines without reaching adequate doses or duration, you might not get results. I advise you to discuss all this with your doctor and have faith in him as it often takes long time to treat this condition.
Psychotherapy and relaxation exercises are also required along with pharmacotherapy. Sometimes in resistant cases, ECT may help.

Hope it helps
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 26 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are going through a difficult time and it can indeed be very distressing to have uncontrolled symptoms despite being on medication. You seem to be with your multiple psychiatric problems and hence it requires a detailed psychological assessment to figure out what these intrusive or 'automatic' thoughts are due to. They can be a due to your OCD or can even be a due to a psychotic disorder (Schizo-affective disorder).

Since your symptoms are very distressing and you are also having suicidal ideas, I would advise you to consult your psychiatrist for further management options. There are many treatment options which can be tried - both in the form of medication and psychotherapy, which can help you with your problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor