Thanks for posting in HCM.
I understand your concern for your friend.
Symptoms what she is experiencing could be due to recurrence of yeast infection. This may be due to poor hygiene or due to transmission by asymptomatic partner during sex.
If the infection recurs again and again, the following things needs to be done:
1. Maintenance therapy like a regimen of oral fluconazole
tablets once a week for six months or clotrimazole
as a vaginal suppository used once a week for six months can be used.
2. Treating partner too if the partner has symptoms of a genital yeast infection
Other measures which needs to be taken care are the following:
1. Wash the area with warm water and mild antiseptic twice daily until the symptoms subsides.
2. Abstain from sexual activity till your symptoms subside completely.
3. After using the toilet, wipe from front to back to avoid spreading yeast or bacteria from anus to the vagina or urinary tract
4. Wear loose fitting cotton undergarments that helps keep your genital area dry and doesn't hold in warmth and moisture.
5. Change pads or tampons often during periods.
6. Use vaginal anti-fungal medicines which are available for 1-day, 3-day, and longer courses, depending on the strength of the medicine.
7. Along with it, you can use vaginal boric acid capsules, which are available over-the-counter. Do not use this medication if you are pregnant.
Hope the information provided would be helpful.
All the best.