• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ulcerative colitis

.Age:20 Gender:Male Name:Naveed Case:Dear doctor I have recently had my sigmoidoscopy and the doctor have diagnosed Ulcerative Coalitis and prescribed me to have medicine Pentasa ,I also have difficulty in passing stools,cramping and pain in the lower abdomen with blood and mucus in stool,My life is getting worse day by day.Can you suggest me any cure for this disease...Thanks
Sat, 28 Apr 2018

Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic inflammation of the colonic or rectal mucosa. Treatment of UC includes lifestyle changes, medical treatment, and surgical treatment.

Following life-style changes should be followed:
-Try to eat small portion of meals frequently (every 3 or 4 hours) and drink plenty of water.
-Try to avoid a meal with high fiber content such as dry fruits, nuts, seeds, and also spicy foods, alcohol and caffeine.
-Try to reduce stress by exercising (walking, biking, swimming) regularly. Reducing stress helps to improve your bowel function.

Medical treatment of UC includes the following group of medications:
-Amino salicylates (Pentasa, sulfasalazine), which decrease inflammation of the lining of the colon. Over 90% of patients with ulcerative colitis taking amino salicylate medications achieve minimal disease activity and disappearance of symptoms.
-Systemic Corticosteroids (Hydrocortisone, Budesonide) are also used in acute exacerbations.
-Immunomodulatory is used in patients with the refractory disease.

If the disease is severe, and resistant to medical treatment or has severe complications, then surgical treatment is indicated. Please, start taking Pentasa as prescribed by your doctor and follow lifestyle modifications to improve your condition.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Malik Amonov