Suggest treatment for throat irritation leading to cough

Hi, I have question regarding regarding persistent cough that my mother (68 years) is suffering from. Symptoms: Throat irritation leading to coughing (with little or no sputum) occurring sporadically throughout the day specially while sleeping. Chest x-rays showed that her lungs are clean. She was put on medication twice. First instance she was administered Ivepred and Telekast along with Betadine gargle by a doctor. The coughing stopped within 2 days. But it restarted after 2 weeks. Again I took her to the same doctor, he then prescribed Medrol, Telekast and Betadine gargle to continue. But this time also after medication the cough went away but it again restarted. Any suggestion as to what may be the problem.
Fri, 16 Jul 2021

Your mother (68yrs) has been suffering from throat irritation and cough. She has taken treatment but the cough restarts after a few days. She is being treated by her treating doctor with Methylprednisolone and Montelucast. She has been put on medication twice and presently the chest X-ray shows clear lungs. She is having a recurrence of cough due to throat irritation, the delicate throat mucosa is getting dry and hurt, thus triggering cough.

Betadine gargle has Povidone iodine and alcohol, that may cause drying of the throat mucosa and may also cause blistering, irritation, itching thus triggering cough. Your mother is suggested to gargle her throat with salt in warm water 3-4 times. Give her liquid or semi solid food so that her throat does not hurt and gets healed faster.

She can take non sedating antihistamine at bed time, one stat when needed for relief. She should stay well hydrated. She should take sips of soup, juice and water throughout the day. Make sure that your indoor air is not dry. You can use humidifier so that the air is not dry but comfortable.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K., General & Family Physician