Suggest treatment for tenderness and burning sensation on tailbone

Five years ago I had shingles. The outbreak place was at the end of my spine. I now have times when my tail bone is very tender; made worse by sitting. Nothing seems to help with the tendernress, burning sensation. I ve tried ibprophen; ice; heat. Can you suggest anything else I can try? thank you.
Thu, 29 May 2014
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hi
Thanks for writing your query
Based on your description this injury is called coccygodynia. My advice for you would be-
1. Sitz’s bath- sit in the tub filled with lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes two times daily.
2. Avoid sitting on hard surface and try to sit on one buttock. Avoid jerky rides and take rest.Injection of depomedrol at the site of pain also helps.
3. Medication wise you may take Ibuprofen for few days.
It usually takes 2-3 week time to heal. If the problem persists see your local doctor.
Take care and wish you good health.
Dr.chugh Orthopaedic surgeon
http://bit.ly/drmchugh