Suggest treatment for stiff neck and sore throat

I AM 72 YEARS OLD AND IN VERY GOOD HEALTH/NO MEDS. I JOINED THE YMCA 3 MONTHS AGO I STARTED HAVING A STIFF NECK AND SORE THROAT A SHORT TIME AFTER. I BLAMED IT ON SPRING ALLERGIES, BUT AM WORRIED. I DON T THINK I HAVE A FEVER AS I GAVE BLOOD A WEEK AGO AND I WAS FINE. I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT MENINGITIS. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE? I AM GOING TO CALL MY DR. LATER. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.
Wed, 7 Jun 2017
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Meningitis is a cause of neck pain but it would be normally present acutely and severely. The symptoms would not linger on for days, weeks, months, etc.

In addition, there would be additional symptoms as well especially, if it is untreated by this time, the symptoms would be at a severe level or worse would cause death. Since the neck pain has been going since you started the gym 3 months ago, it is not likely due to meningitis. It is likely muscle related.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James