Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
159 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for severe headache

Hi there, i am a long time headache sufferer. Have been lazily diagnosed with cluster headaches although they do resemble cluster headaches there are somewhat a few symptoms that i experience not relevant to cluster headaches, which worry me. Such as involuntary minute neck twitching on the side i experience pain, accompanied by creaking and popping, not your normal creaking and popping though. This happens within a tiny involuntary movement and brings me a strange relief, the same you feel when stretching and yawning. When i get a headache, which is daily, i feel stretching and taking my weight off my neck brings me relief. Do you believe this could be a vertebrae in my neck to be at fault or perhaps something else? The lymph node at the base of my skull also protrudes when i experience this pain, but only on the side of the pain, and also feels like it radiates the pain (or from that area). Any help or some pointers to guide my doctors towards would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mon, 10 Nov 2014
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Such headaches may be greatly disabling. They could well be caused due to cervical spondylosis where there are certain changes in the vertebrae at the back of your neck. It is hard to comment without examination and investigation whether other causes could be present. The swelling of lymph nodes indicates localised infection but I would not be concerned about it at the moment.
Taking naprosyn (naproxen) 500 mg one or two tablets together as per your requirement would help in relieving the pain. Take it in full stomach only. In the meantime, get a AP and Lateral X Ray of cervical spine done and get it checked by a doctor.
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Ok, for the last 3 days, I have had this headache (sometimes more in front/forehead) that feels like my head is going to explode and/or throbbing...

Recent questions on  Cluster headache

doctor1 MD

I am 19 years old and have been headaches for almost a year now. The pain doesn t stop, some days it hurts less, some days more. I was put on...

doctor1 MD

I ve had cluster headaches for upwards of 40 yrs. I m male, 74, 80Kg. Generally good health. Sessions usually every 12 to 18 months, last 2 to 6...

doctor1 MD

I have had a stiff/sore neck (on the left side) for about 2 days. At first it felt liked slept funny on it but now it is very painful. In addition,...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a man 48 years old I was diagnosed with cluster headache in 1987 Usually i had it for 2 months a year before the paint stopped. The pain is...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I'm a 32 male, i have a unilateral headache that is constant for around two weeks on my left side. My GP has checked the back of my eyes and...

doctor1 MD

I have persistent light headache specific to one area of my head. It has lasted for two or three months. I notice it about 70 % of the time. The...

doctor1 MD

Having waves of severe head pain . Nothing relieves. Debilitating. Under and behind right ear. Don't know what to do. Tylenol has not helped.