Suggest treatment for severe constipation

ok...first time i have done this.......I have experienced bloating with some constipation and flatulence. The condition is worse doing the evening and my appetite is diminished at dinner time. It is made worse by eating ice cream, red wine and/ or chocolate. Pepto Bismal tablets provide some relief. I stopped my statin thinking that my body was becoming intolerant of it. I take losartan and aspiring. No blood in stool, which is infrequently loose and provides some relief only to return with some consitpation.
Thu, 26 Sep 2019

This may be r related to IBS and chronic constipation (spasms). That is particularly true when you consume foods like nuts or popcorn that would trigger spasms of the bowel.

I suggest running colonoscopy to exclude organic problems first. With regards to finding blood floating in the toilet after you pass the motion, that would be related to possible:

- fissures due to chronic constipation
- hemorrhoids

In both cases, you need to take measures to reduce constipation that would trigger such problems:

- do more physical activity
- increase water consumption
- take more foods high in fiber content
- fiber supplements can help
- can use laxatives once in a while to improve the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Iven Romic Rommstein, General Surgeon