Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
134 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for prostate enlargement

My father is 72 years old. twenty two days back he developed a problem of frequent urination and inflamation while urinating. doctor diagnosed it as problem of prostate enlargement and retention of residual urine in the urinary bladder. He prescribed him Tablet Nafodil one daily during bed time and Ceftas-400 once daily. Fifteen days after treatment his problem of frequent urination and inflamation during uriantion is cured but his routine urinine examiantions shows plenty of pus cells in the urine. I shall be thankful if you kindly advise me in this matter. Sincerely, Sanjay Guleria Associate Professor
Mon, 8 Jul 2019
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

These symptoms indicate in most cases prostate issues such as prostatitis or hypertrophy and rarely it may be a sign of STD infection. You should avoid intercourse for till symptoms persist and drink plenty of fluids.

If symptoms persist it would be good to do a prostate ultrasound and check your PSA levels to rule out a prostate tumor or hypertrophy and further treatment depends on these findings.

In most cases, it can be controlled with medications but sometimes, in case of a tumor, open surgery is required.

And severe benign hypertrophy may be managed endoscopically so you should consult urologist about appropriate options.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

i am 55 yrs old, my prostate size is 30cc as given by ultra sound report with healed prostatitis. my post void residual volume is 70cc. what...

Recent questions on  Incontinence

doctor1 MD

hi doctor im concern I started bleeding Thursday night from 7.00pm it looks my urine pink and turn red(blood) thru the night.went to emergency and...

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, i have urge incontinence since my childhood(26 now) but i havent properly checked with a doctor. i have managed till now .But now i...

doctor1 MD

Hello. I am a 19 year old male with a problem. About two months ago I started having to urinate frequently out of nowhere. This problem went away...

doctor1 MD

My Dad has stage 4 lung cancer and 3 tumors in his brain. Among the other problems, he is having trouble urinating. He is incontinent but will...

doctor1 MD

A co-worker was fine one minute..then suddenly said she didn't feel well. Moments later, she passed out for a minute or two. We shook her awake and...

doctor1 MD

Hi I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer from a biopsy . They think it is confined to prostate. GS 3+4. 19/12 probes positive. 15% of tissue...

doctor1 MD

I coughed really hard while urinating. While coughing I felt a pain in my lower bladder, almost like a pulled or straine it. Now it hurts to...