• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pre eclampsia during pregnancy

dear sir,my wife is 29+week pregnant now and has 3+ protein in urine,and she is suffering from pre eclampsia, B.P is fluctuating in a day as low as 120/90 and as high as 160/120,LDH,Uric acid,Platelets in serum are in normal range. using Methyl dopa 500mg Nifedipine Retard 20mg thrice a day and labetalol 100mg twice a day.but blood presuure is getting controlled,one day cardiologist suggested a diuretic 20 mg as a stat dose,immediately then b.p has controlled for about 2 days,we stopped taking it,again B.P is shooting up,i am very much worried about mother s point of vie first and then about baby.is it safe using diuretic in pregnancy?if not what can be done to control Blood Pressure?
Wed, 23 Dec 2015
Hi there ,
Welcome to HCM,
Pre eclampsia, especially severe pre eclampsia like the one seen in your wife can be a very difficult situation to be in. At 29 weeks its still too early and the care of mother and baby are very important. The best treatment for pre eclampsia is delivery, but at 29 week the babies survival is a concern. We need to monitor the mother's health and the fetal condition in way of hourly BP monitoring, blood test, urine test, Fetal ultrasound and fetal Doppler and Fetal heart tracings in the form of NST.
Diuretics have to be used very cautiously in pregnancy, and are avoided unless no alternative is available.
If the maternal or fetal condition deteriorates at any point, its best to consider deliver, in a hospital with good NICU back up.
Hope this helps.
Regards.