Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
151 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for polyps in gallbladder

Hi i have two polyps in my gallbladder, one is 4mm and the other is 3mm. these polyps were detected through ultra sonogram of my whole abdomen. i feel some sort of pain in my right abdomen near the gallbladder. the report also revealed mild fatty liver. i would be happy if you tell me what to do now.
Fri, 20 May 2016
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Brief Answer:
You should establish a follow-up plan with your GI doctor.
These polyps should be followed-up using standard abdominal ultrasound or endoscopic ultrasound.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using HCM.
First of all, is a good think that your polyp size is small, because eventhough in 95 % of the cases the polyps are benign , there are rare cases of cancerous polyps. The size of a gallbladder polyp can help predict whether it's cancerous (malignant) or noncancerous (benign). Small gallbladder polyps that are less than 10 millimeters in diameter, as in your case, are unlikely to be cancerous and generally don't require treatment. However, these polyps should be followed-up using standard abdominal ultrasound or endoscopic ultrasound, to look for changes that may be an indication of cancer. In most of the cases they are asymptomatic and are often detected incidentally. However,as in your case, the polyps may cause occasionally pain in the right abdomen, due to intermittent obstructions caused by small fragments of cholesterol that become detached from the gallbladder mucosa.
So how to deal with these polyps ?
See a gastroenterologist and make a follow-up plan.
In case of repeated pain , consider cholecystectomy. In this way you avoid either long term surveillance of the polyps.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications. Otherwise please close and rate the answer.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Juarda
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I recently went for a scan and was found to have 2cm growths in my gallbladder there was a query to my common bile duct being blocked but the...

Recent questions on  Gallbladder

doctor1 MD

i had doctors say my gallbladder needed to be taking out over 5 days in the hospital they changed their mind was on antibotics got better for a...

doctor1 MD

I had my gallbladder surgery in last september.When i had gallbladder stones,i was having some sort of ache on both sides under the ribs.Also i had...

doctor1 MD

I m 24 years old. I m have an appointment with a docter today about my gallbladder. Should a gallbladder be taken out? After only a few tests...

doctor1 MD

i have been told by a doctor at my local hospital that i had a folded gallbladder and was percribed codine which i have been on for 10 years plus...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right hand side of my chest, feel sick after eating, and get really hungry, and thirsty. Could this indicate esophageal...

doctor1 MD

I did ultrasound , doctor found few cholesterol polyps in gallbladder and fatty acids in liver . So as per him it is not dangerous. Only thing I...

doctor1 MD

Thank you. minor pain starting several months ago at my lower right rib area. over last week or two, the pain has increased but doesn't hurt unless...