Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
135 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for poison ivy infection

I just took my son to doctor yesterday he was diagnosed with poison ivy. Today the inside is a nickel size and a white ring around that then a red ring around that. His doctors nurse has not called me back do i need to worry and what to do. He is on a steriod.
Thu, 20 May 2021
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response
Hi,

Poison Ivy rash occurs when the skin comes in contact with the oily resin present in the leaves, stem and root of poison ivy. The resinous oil is Urushiol and the rash can keep spreading if the oil is not completely removed from the skin. It occurs when you are in contact with the resin by directly touching poison ivy or objects contaminated with the Urushiol leading to contact allergy. While if someone comes in contact with the smoke of burning poison ivy then it can irritate the nasal passages and/ or lungs.

The rash can appear with a day to 2-3 days after contact with the oil and can last up to 2-3 weeks. On contacting the skin it can cause allergic reaction and it can present as redness, itching, swelling and blistering and severity depends on the amount of the resin that you are exposed to.

Steroids can be given orally and topical application to reduce the rashes and swelling and also antibiotic if the area gets infected. As he is already on steroid you need not to worry and continue the course as advised by the doctor and follow up after the course is about to finish. Also, doing cool compresses can help. Anti itch cream can be applied if there is itching.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards,
Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in


Suggest treatment for poison ivy infection

Hi, Poison Ivy rash occurs when the skin comes in contact with the oily resin present in the leaves, stem and root of poison ivy. The resinous oil is Urushiol and the rash can keep spreading if the oil is not completely removed from the skin. It occurs when you are in contact with the resin by directly touching poison ivy or objects contaminated with the Urushiol leading to contact allergy. While if someone comes in contact with the smoke of burning poison ivy then it can irritate the nasal passages and/ or lungs. The rash can appear with a day to 2-3 days after contact with the oil and can last up to 2-3 weeks. On contacting the skin it can cause allergic reaction and it can present as redness, itching, swelling and blistering and severity depends on the amount of the resin that you are exposed to. Steroids can be given orally and topical application to reduce the rashes and swelling and also antibiotic if the area gets infected. As he is already on steroid you need not to worry and continue the course as advised by the doctor and follow up after the course is about to finish. Also, doing cool compresses can help. Anti itch cream can be applied if there is itching. Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist