• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pimples on face

I got Steroids acne (after I've been using steroids for 7 years) and I already stopped using steroids for 4 months now. But now it seems that pimples get all over my face. What is possible treatment for this condition? I don't want to be on steroids again. Pls help
Mon, 8 Dec 2014
Hello. Thanks for writing to us at healthcaremagic

Steroids induced acne is treated the same way as are adolescent Or adult acne.
Topically you may use either clindamycin or benzoyl peroxide gel if the acne is inflammatory i.e are red, painful and pustular.
An Oral antibiotic may also be required if acne is inflammatory. Carious options that are available are eiher Doxycycline, Azithromycin. Minocycline Or Lymecycline. I usually start my patients on one of these
Oral antibiotics may be continued for 4-12 weeks depending on the response to treatment.
At night I usually recommend my patients to use a topical retinoid e.g Adapalene gel. Topical retinoids are antiinflammatory and comedolytic in action, therefore they prevent new acne formation apart from treating existing acne.
Of course discontinuing steroids is an essential step in preventing new acne formation.