• question-icon

Suggest treatment for meniscus tear on knee

MRIs done on both knees. medial meniscus tear on one knee and floating cartalidge on the other. i have an orthopedic surgeon appointment soon but I m trying to get general idea of treatment options and time needed to be off work. i will know more after seeing surgeon but i am just trying to get ideas til then.
Wed, 23 Dec 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

Welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you have meniscus tear on knee . A torn meniscus is one of the most common knee injuries. Any activity that causes you to forcefully twist or rotate your knee, especially when putting the pressure of your full weight on it, can lead to a torn meniscus. As your have already have MRI . Doctor may recommend physical therapy , which will be very helpful in this case , icing and proper rest . Doctor may prescribe analgeics and anti inflammatory . In case od serious injury doctor may recommend surgery . Sometimes possible to repair a torn meniscus . If the tear can't be repaired, the meniscus may be surgically trimmed. Surgery may be done through tiny incisions using an arthroscope. After surgery, you will need to do exercises to optimize knee strength and stability.

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Get Well Soon.
Best Wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari